Monday, July 13, 2009

First Camping Trip of the Summer and Got Plastered!!! :)

Trevor and I decided we would head out over the road this past weekend to start our first bit of camping for the season. We didn't go too far for this trip as friends of ours invited us out to their campsite in Butter Pot Provincial Park. This park is perhaps 20 minutes outside the city. This was also going to be Alexi's first camping trip with us. It was an experience to say the least!

Alexi as sweet a dog as she is, she is aggressive around other dogs. Our friend's had a sweet little Maltese dog and loved to play and roam around the campsite. Unfortunately we had to keep our little Alexi on a lead the whole trip as she thinks she is the boss and the dominant one and proceeds to bark and charge at other dogs. We are in the process of getting her out of this habit through the doggy obedience we have her in. I really want to be able to take her for walks in the park or around Quidi Vidi Lake (a popular lake and walking trail here in St. John's), but these places are popular for other people to walk their dogs, it wouldn't be wise to take Alexi yet. Soon I hope.

Anyway, here are a few photos of our first trip. By the way, we don't own the camper trailer. See that little blue tent back in the trees, yep that's our favourite way to rough it!!! :)

The second night we put up our kitchen tent over the picnic table so we could enjoy the evening without fighting away the flies!

Alexi posing for the camera

We are getting ready for our first hike.

2 hour hike along Butter Pot Hiking Trail. It's a nice little hike that takes you right to the top of Butter Pot hill.


Although this was a long weekend, we came home Sunday afternoon as Trevor had to work on Monday morning. We packed up our camping gear and headed back to St. John's around 3pm. We had a nice time despite Alexi barking her head off at the other dog and whimpering because she was tied to a tree and couldn't be close by to us all the time. We spent all Saturday hiking and then at the beach to cool off (it was a very hot and sunny weekend here).

When we got home we unpacking all the gear and settled down out on the patio to relax and enjoy the rest of the sunny warm weather. We broke out the frozen margaritas and Trevor treated us to Swiss Chalet delivered to our door. I love not having to cook on hot days!

I also managed to get in a bit of sewing on the deck. I hauled out a little bit of embroidery I had put on the back burner during the renovations and move and did a bit of stitching.



Today, while Trevor was working I decided to putter around the house and just get plastered!!!!!!!!!!! Nope not the "plastered" you might first be thinking of, but as in drywall plastering!!!! hee hee!! I have never plastered in my LIFE, but I bought a couple nice round track lights for my sewing studio to get better lighting down there. The original lights were there since the 70s and they were these big ugly square monsters that have off terrible lighting. I had my electrician come in last week to install my lights but in the end I had two big gapping holes. The new circle lights were smaller than the square light. And you know what they say, you can't fit a square in circle! So I headed to the local hardware store and the gentleman at the shop helped me figure out what I had to do. I picked up my bit of strapping. Had another nice fella in the lumber yard cut the piece of wood to the sizes I needed, and also got the bit of sticky netting I needed.

I head home with a touch of fear wondering if I was going to do this right. I put the fear in it's place and with the help of Mum's experience (as she had to do the same thing herself with her new fan in her bathroom of my basement apartment) I knew we would do fine. She was a great teacher and I manged to get the strapping and the gyperock in place and started to get plastered!!!! LOL I must say the first coat went on pretty good and I was pleased with the results. Tomorrow after work, I will sand down that first coat and put on a second coat. By Wednesday I should be ready to paint the two filled in holes where I have my new lighting!!!




I changed into some old painting clothes for the messy plastering part. For a laugh Mum thought it would be cute to dress up in a sexy black dress and high heel shoes while plastering!! hey gotta look good right!!! ahhh but there was no good looking fella around to see me! LOL


ahh the joys of being a new homeowner!!!

Well it's Monday evening and Alexi and I are off to our class. Two more classes to go and the course is over.

Til next time!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

2 comments:

limpingalong said...

Your camping trip sounds like fun and it would seem you are learning some new skills!

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Plaster and camping, what a combo! Looks like you've had tons of fun :^)