Friday, April 2, 2010

Thursday's Musings

I lost track of the loads of laundry I did today! Along with our regular weekly wash, it took an additional 3 loads to wash all the baby clothes, wash clothes, receiving blankets and everything else! It all got sorted into sizes and are now stored away in the bureaus. I also picked out 3 outfits to take with me to the hospital for the little guy to wear. My knapsack is already to grab and go on the big day!







Hopefully this weekend Trevor will get the base outfitted in the car for the car seat. Hey I could pop at any time now and we need to be ready!

I also managed to clean out all the stuff that was in the crib from the 2 baby showers and other stuff that was accumulating there. There is now room to put the baby in there!!


Here is the whimsy little monkey that sits at the bottom of the crib to keep him company. I just LOVE this little guy! Trevor found him at our last trip to Toys R Us and he couldn't resist!


I can't remember if I mentioned already how I was going to quilt the crumb quilt. Originally I thought in all my insanity I would hand quilt it.... well..... I've changed my mind. I have decided to free motion machine quilt it instead. It is a HUGE quilt and I just want to complete it now! Once the preggy belly is gone and I can get down on my hands and knees on the floor to layer and baste this bad boy, it will be on the machine.


Prepping my pattern designs for free motion quilting later on.


I also worked on tracing 357 hexagon templates for my Grandmother's Garden quilt I'm handsewing. Yep once again another insane production of mine!!! I'll be heading to the mental I'm sure after these two quilts are done! Between last night and this afternoon (hey my laundry room is just off from my sewing room, so while doing wash I can be productive) I traced out more templates. I also spent an hour or so this afternoon on my EQ6 software and quickly drafted how my Grandmother's Garden quilt will look like. I have 913 background/spacer hexagons to cut out and hand sew!! hee heee.. Yep... I have officially lost my marbles!!!!



I spent a little while last night pulling fabrics to get started on making and selling my one of a kind flip flop bags. I sold a pile of them about 1 1/2 years ago. I had someone message me the other day who ordered one from me 2 summers ago that they want to order two more! For the moment I have 8 different bag fabrics figured out and my flip flops traced and ready to go. I just need to wash up the fabrics and have them cut and assembled. I'll show the finished results soon.



Yesterday I also tried out a new breakfast recipe. I made a Mexican Frittata. I have never made one before, but I must say it turned out very yummy! I do think the next time I make it I will add a little more seasoning to it as it still needs a little something extra for kick!

Here is the recipe if you wish to try it!

Mexican Frittata





2 whole medium potatoes, peeled
water
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp minced garlic
5 large eggs
1 Tbsp of chopped fresh chives (or 3/4 tsp dried)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 cup finely grated medium cheddar cheese

Cook potatoes in water and salt in medium saucepan until tender but firm. Drain. Cool. Cut into thin slices.

Heat olive oil in non-stick medium pan on medium. Add garlic. Heat and stir for 2-3 minutes. Layer potato slices in pan. Reduce heat to low.

Beat next 4 ingredients with whisk in medium bowl until well combined. Pour over potato slices. Cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes until egg is set. Remove from heat.

Spread salsa over the top of the frittata. Sprinkle with cheese. Place frying pan on top rack in oven. (SEE NOTE BELOW) Broil for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from oven. Let stand for 10 minutes. Cut into 8 wedges

NOTE: to avoid damaging frying pan handle in oven, wrap handle with a damp tea towel or foil before placing under the broiler.
Also you can you a cast iron skillet, which is what I used.

I also managed to finish my formal dining room placemats the other day. I meant to post them earlier, but I forgot to take a photo. I finished them 2-3 days ago!



I have been suffering insomnia on and off now for the last month or so. I had a bout of it last night and never got to fall asleep until after 3am. I am finally starting to feel tired now (it's after 1am here), so I think I'll get the photos uploaded, post this puppy and head off to bed. If the sleep gods are in my favour I'll be in la la land very soon! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

2 comments:

Maria said...

Oh you have been very busy. Good idea to get your hexagons cut and ready so you can sit and sew.

The William's room is just gorgeous and I don't think you need anything now except the baby.

limpingalong said...

The baby stuff looks great -- you are such a busy bee! The recipe sounds great, also. May have to try it one day.

Happy Easter!