Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Road to my Trapunto Quilt

And so it begins, the long road to making my queen size trapunto quilt. Thursday night I took my traced blocks down to Mum's place for our Thursday Night Sewing Group. I took over the dining room table and set out all my pieces. So far I have 12 blocks cut, and only 8 of those were traced. I started to sew the two layers of batting to each design part of the first block. I have so much left over batting pieces from previous projects, this is going to be a great way to use them up and make more room for other things. I only managed to get one block trapuntoed with batting. I will make up a few more of these before I start layering the thinner batting and the backing to each block and start the stippling. Then you will REALLY see the trapunto coming to life!




I had hoped to show you some photos of the design Marsha was going to use for her quilt, but unfortunately she and her hubby have started some home renovations, and she couldn't make it to sewing night. Perhaps next week she will be with us and I'll try to get some photos then.

In the meantime, I did manage to take a photo of a scrap quilt Mum is working on. She finished basting it the other night and she is now getting ready to mark it for cross hatching. As you can see Missy had to get in on the action and test out the quilt for comfort. I think cats have this internal radar and now the exact moment a quilt is going on the floor or on the bed. She could be at the other end of the house, but once that quilt is available she comes out of nowhere to check it out!! Silly cat! Quilts are huge magnets to cats!


As for deciding on the Snowman BOM I talked about a few days ago and asked you to help me to decide on one, I think I have decided to go with the Hot Chocolate BOM. I was first leaning towards the Snowman Collector, but then thought more about it. It seems just about every quilt I do has some kind of order and organization to it. The other snowman boms seemed to be a little more disorderly and have random size blocks. The Hot Chocolate one is only 60" x 60" whereas the Snowman Collector is more a full bed size, it is a seasonal quilt, and the Hot Chocolate will be nice to curl up under while on the couch watching a movie or reading a book. I will sign up for this bom this weekend. I can't wait to get the first installment in the mail!! woo hooo! Thanks to everyone who gave me their suggestions on which BOM to do!!

Well it is almost 11:30 Saturday morning. I am meeting up with Mum for a few hours today to clean out the storage room in her apartment. Alot of stuff down there is mine and things I collected over the year for my house (which I will hunting for in the next few months.. can't WAIT). We are going to box up some of this stuff and store it in my UHaul unit. After supper Trevor and I are off to visit our friends Mark and Dodi. Mark's birthday was Thursday and so we are off to celebrate. Dodi suggested we have a games night. So we will be spending the night playing Cranium, Pictionary, Planet Earth DVD Trivia, and who knows what else. So no quilting today, but hopefully tomorrow I'll be back at it again.

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

1 comment:

Micki said...

You do wonderful work! I am glad that I found your blog. I live in Dunfanaghy, Ireland, and quilting is a big pastime up here. I really did enjoy your blog. Hope you visit mine.
Micki