Friday, February 5, 2010

I Love Snow Days!!!!

Today we are thick and heavy into a grand ole snow storm/blizzard!!!! We are expected to get anywhere up to 50cm of snow and winds between 100/120 km/hour!!! wooo hoooo!! It started to snow last night and it is nasty nasty out there now! I think there are at least 3 feet snow drifts just behind the car already!! The storm is suppose to continue overnight and end sometime tomorrow morning. I decided to create my own snow day today and take an annual leave day off work. I found out a little later today that the office stayed open until noon time at which time the building closed down.

So what have I been doing so far on my snow day?? Why playing in my sewing room of course!!!! I have been working away in the Jungle making the animals for Jungle Boogie for Wil's room. So far I have two critters completed! Say hello to "Gordon the Giraffe"



and "Ssssaaammmy the Ssssllitthery Snnnnnake"!!!



This evening I will be working on the alligator. I still have to come up with a name for him. I'm sure as I'm stitching and appliqueing him his name will come to me.

I also decided on a cold stormy night like this, we needed some yummy comfort food for supper. I made our favourite Cod au Gratin!!! YUM!!! Here is the recipe if anyone is interested in trying it out themselves!

Cod au Gratin



3 small fillets cod fish (fresh or frozen)
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
2 cups milk
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
Pepper to taste
3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 tsp savoury (dill or tarragon are good substitutions)
1 1/2 cups shredded medium cheddar cheese
1 cup bread crumbs or cracker crumbs. (I like to use my own homemade bread crumbs)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil

Scald the milk in the microwave for 4-5 minutes. In a medium saucepan, add the butter and flour and cook together for 2 minutes. Slowly pour in the scaled milk whisking constantly. Cook until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the lemon zest, Dijon mustard and season with pepper to taste. Add the parmesan cheese just before pouring on the fish.

Arrange the fish in the bottom of a greased 9 x 9 inch baking dish. Pour the sauce over the fish. Top with the cheddar cheese.

Mix the bread crumbs (or cracker crumbs) with the olive oil and sprinkle over the cheese. BAke for 45 minutes to one hour at 350 degrees F until bubbling and the top has evenly browned.

Now that the kitchen is all cleaned up again, the dishwater doing it's thing and another loaf of bread being made in the bread machine, I'm off with my hot cuppa Winter Spice tea to my sewing room again to make an alligator!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

2 comments:

QuiltNut Creations said...

love the giraffe!

limpingalong said...

recipe sounds good but I'd have to make it out of catfish since I can't have anything out of salt water.