Thursday, February 3, 2011

After the Snowstorm

We survived!!! In fact the news tonight reported we only got 17cm of snow. Personally myself, living on one of the higher altitudes of the city we DEFINETLY got more than that!! But not complaining. It was really light fluffy powdery stuff and it fell so pretty!!! Mind you, this morning Trevor called me from the Group Home he worked in on the overnight shift to ask if the snowplow came up our street. "Nope" said I. I was to call him when the plow came up because there was no way his little Hyundai hatchback Accent was going to make it to the top of the hill. About an hour later, still no sign of the Mr. Plow, but noticed Trevor ever so slowly and carefully trying to drive his car up the hill. He was little The Little Engine That Could!!! LOL Alas he made it! He was so proud!!! At least he didn't have to bother shovelling out the driveway as our next door neighbour was kind enough to snow blow both his driveway and ours!

I didn't do much sewing today. I was feeling a bit tired. I did do a little bit of hand embroidery work on my sewing motif blocks while watching Will as he played in the living room.


(the Magic Bullet box is empty and used to keep Will from going over and pulling himself up to standing position with the aide of my curtains)!!

After Trevor woke up from his nap (as mentioned above he worked an overnight shift and had to work another overnight tonight) I gave William his afternoon bottle and then he went down for a nap for 2 hours. I did the same thing.. err minus the bottle of milk!! LOL

When I woke up, I decided to put on a nice pot of comfort food for this wintry day. I made my Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup!!!! YUM!!!! There is a little bit of prep work to putting this soup together, but it is worth the extra bit of time.


(Will likes to help by keeping the dishwasher door open while I load the machine. Mommy's little helper)!!

I posted this message on my Facebook page and some of my friends asked for the recipe.. I've made this recipe several times now and I tweaked it a little bit from the original recipe as I like to add a little more curry paste than what is suggested. The recipe below is straight from the cut out recipe from the Downhome Magazine (a local magazine here in Newfoundland)

Coconut-Curry Butternut Squash Soup



One 3-lb squash, peeled, seeded and diced
2 onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp Thai yellow curry paste, or 2 tsp curry powder
1 can coconut milk
1 small ripe banana, mashed
2 Tbsp Lady of the Woods Birch Sap Wine (made here in NL) or White Wine
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried)
Black pepper to taste
2 Tbsp each oil and butter

Heat oil and butter in deep saucepot; add onions, squash and thyme. Cook, stirring until it all starts to caramelize (3-4 minutes). Add garlic and saute another minute or two. Add curry paste and stir a couple minutes more. Add the wine and let reduce a minute, then add the coconut milk. Add the pepper. Let reduce a few minutes. Add stock and the banana and boil until squash is soft. Puree soup in the pot with a stick blender (or transfer to a regular blender or food processor). For a velvety consistency, strain through a medium sieve. Taste and adjust with salt and pepper (I don't use salt unless I have too.. I like to cut out salt whenever I can. there is enough of other seasonings to give it a great taste). Garnish with a little toasted coconut or a dollop of sour cream. (The toasted coconut gives it a little hint of sweetness)!

Enjoy!

It is only 10:30pm, but I am really dropping I'm so tired this evening. I think I caused myself to be more tired when I decided to go out and try and shovel Mum's car out. I only did the light fluffy stuff tonight. I will attack the stuff the plow put in the driveway tomorrow. With Mum's foot bandaged and she has to rest it for the next few weeks, she isn't going anywhere, but I still want to have her driveway cleared out in case of emergency or something. Also if this stuff freezes, it will take dynamite to blow the stuff out!!!

So on that note, I'm going to get into my nice polar fleece jammies and warm fuzzy socks, get under the covers, read my book for a little bit, throw the dog on the bed to keep me warm and eventually snuggle down under the quilts and get some sleep. Hopefully William will sleep through the night. He woke up around 11:30 last night feeling hungry, but after his midnight bottle snack he slept til 8am!!!

Tomorrow night, I hope to get a head start on the Scrap Saturday and the red strippy lap quilt. I managed to finish the tops of the rest of the Christmas placemats tonight. Next step to those is layer and quilt them. But that is for another day!

Tomorrow morning, I am going to try out a new breakfast recipe!!! I will post it if it turns out alright!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

No comments: